Saturday, January 26, 2008

Kickin' it disillusioned style.

UPDATE: The translation people called this morning; they want me to come in tomorrow morning to do a sample translation as a test. Fair enough. Bring it on!

It's getting harder and harder for me to muster up the energy.

Let me catch you up a bit on the back story: the Barbanera (calendar) people have yet to get back to me. Last I heard we were supposed to meet up right after the new year. I contacted them twice, asking what the deal was, and I received a vague we'll have our people call your people response. Yes, there's still a chance that they're figuring things out, but I'm also thinking it's entirely likely that they took my ideas and research (which I was never paid for) and decided to run with them on their own. Time will tell I guess, but Disappointment #1.

Disappointment #2 is that I had another job interview yesterday - an interesting one, basically it's a translation company based here in Perugia (5 minutes from home) that's looking for full-time translators. I thought the interview went really well and they practically offered me the job on the spot. At the very end of our meeting, they said they would call me by the end of the day to set up an appointment for when I should come and sign the contract and, basically, start working. So I was excited. Well, I got their phonecall yesterday and they very vaguely said that all of their current translations are too technical for me and that I should come in on Tuesday or Wednesday to see if they have something more 'adapted to my abilities.'

What the hell? Ok, so YES, it is still possible, in both situations, that I am overreacting. Sure, I may get there on Tuesday and find a contract waiting on 'my' desk for me to sign. Sure. But I am tired. I feel like I am in this painful tug-of-war power game that I just don't have the stamina for. I'm not built for these kinds of schemes. I'm American, dammit: if you want me to work for you, tell me. If not, tell me. This psychological pull-release playground is just becoming too much for me to handle. Walking in stiletto heels through quicksand.

Update to follow.

No comments: