Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Life's little presents

Just when I start to question if I'll ever figure this whole game out, Life steps in and tosses a little sunshine my way.

Yesterday I had an interview with a publishing company that's been putting out the famous Barbanera calendar/almanac for the past 200+ years in Italy. They are interested in trying to sell it in the U.S. and need someone to act as a consultant, to do an analysis of everything from content to illustrations, traditions to recipes to gardening advice.

This is a great opportunity for me now for many reasons: it gives me a chance to utilize my different interests and talents (writing, graphic design, cultural analysis, editing), it's a great transitional job as it gives me the freedom to work on my own and then present my analyses to them at each deadline, and it's open-ended: it might last 2 months or 2 years, depending on how the project goes (I'm all for open-ended right now!).

Only current negative is that nobody made any mention of how much they'll be paying me, but let's not forget we are still in Italy!

So, let this be a lesson to you all as it has been for me: don't let months and years of misery pass before you decide to change things for yourself...once you decide to make that change, Life will surely step in and help you see clearly.

No comments: