Sunday, July 29, 2012

On Sisters

Samina wakes up earlier in the morning than the rest of the clan. I bring her into bed with me; sometimes we fall back to sleep, sometimes I close my eyes while I feel her wiggling beside me. Perhaps in anticipation. Of her Big Sister.

Sofia wakes up a bit later and jumps up, ready to come join us for our cuddle time in bed. While Papa' goes to prepare her a bottle of milk "not too hot, without honey" (he definitely gets the short end of the morning stick), the three of us lie in bed, holding hands and snuggling. Sofia sings songs at the top of her lungs to make her sister smile ("I can't get dressed yet, Mommy, I have to make Samina happy first."), Samina repays her sister's energy with giggles and screams. They already seem to speak a language of their own.

I watch them, sometimes my eyelids closing a bit as I enjoy the laziness of these stolen morning moments. As my lids shut, I am lulled by the giggling and screaming and cooing going on between them. And, almost always, my eyes pop back open with the "OUCH!" that inevitably happens, as Sofia is punched or scratched by an overzealous little sister hand. Her reaction is almost always laughter though..."Samina!!!! Non si fa!" (Samina, we don't hit!). Sofia, who gets miffed at her parents with banal frequency, seems to accept almost anything from this little person with those big, smiling eyes.

Seeing them interact is heavenly. Andrea and I often share a knowing smile at these times, in awe of the bond that we created. The loud symphony they are beginning to write together, little hand pressed carefully into big hand.

1 comment:

Regina said...

Little hand pressed into big hand. I hope you keep this for when they can both understand and appreciate it. I LOVE THIS! And I love you too!