Friday, October 12, 2007

Of Transvestites, Priests and Kitch (oh and dolphins)



This is what I had to look at all night last night. Why? Because Andrea and I went to the first show of our public theater subscription: "I sei brillanti."

My favorite scene:
three members of the all-male chorus dressed as glimmery dolphins (which later somehow became sharks) and one very odd looking whale, dancing pretty much the way my niece and nephew dance when they're particularly excited about something.

Andrea's favorite scene:
the main actor (a 105-year-old transvestite who changed outfits about 3,539 times throughout the show, see above) and several members of the chorus dressed in priest outfits, singing "Hotel Tropicana" and toasting with their church goblets.

Needless to say, we laughed the whole way home. And they say Italian theater is dead!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Sullivan said...

Whoa and we thought Morlacchi was old and tired. Just goes to show you, you never, ever know. But I still might run away screaming. Kudos to you and Andrea for never giving up on the Morlacchi.