Friday, February 4, 2011

Girlie girl

Tonight at bath time, Sofia had the longest (and loudest) hissy fit because we took her ponytail out to wash her hair. Then, post-bath, we had to immmmmediately replace said ponytail, and she refused to take it out when I put her to bed (I am afraid what I'm going to have to unravel off the top of her head tomorrow morning).

When she gets dressed in the morning, she has to pick out her own shoes (she almost always chooses the totally impractical pink rain boots...but I'm choosing my battles here, folks). Out walking on our trip to Barcelona, we HAD to go in and buy her a pair of Crocs she saw from the store window outside (ok, we needed them for her swimming lessons anyway). Sit my girl in a shoe/handbag store and she will happily explore for hours.

My girl's turning into a real girlie girl - which is so weird, because I am so NOT a girlie girl. Not that I expect her every personality trait to have to "come from" someone - it's been perfectly clear she's got a mind of her own since the day she was born (before, actually). It's just fun and funny to watch and witness. I kind of love it, actually - not because I care if she's a girlie girl or a tomboy or any other kind of personality, I just want her to be her. But it's truly mesmerizing watching her grow up, start to say words and begin to show signs of humanhood, not just babyhood. I'm awestruck, and totally excited to go buy her a fun hair band tomorrow!

2 comments:

Roberta Krumholz said...

And where do you think that shopping gene has come from?? Love, MMom

jodi said...

I think I can guess!