Thursday, February 3, 2011

No Moan Zone

I do an awful lot of complaining. I've always been a complainer, but now that I'm a mom and have spent the past 2 years having to be flexible and accept any and all curve balls coming my way, it's gotten pretty bad. What's worse is the fact that I am married to another one of the world's greatest complainers (as well as an eternal pessimist - at least I dodged that personality trait).

All this means that, on any given day, you can hear a whole number of sighs and "I can't believe I have to xxxx" or "You're kidding me!" "Damn it!'s running from our mouths. Not something I'm particularly proud of, to be honest. Especially when I realize how truly lucky we ARE (which also happens on a daily basis, in my defense).

Our baby girl is happy, healthy and well-adjusted. We are both relatively healthy on the grand scale of Things-That-Could-Be-Wrong, have families that love us, the much-beloved roof over our heads and (good Italian) food on our tables. The things we Have are numerous and seemingly uncountable.

Which isn't to say people who have a lot aren't allowed to complain, of course. We have exhaustion and live in a country that knows no bureaucratic organization, we lack time and have our share of maladies and annoying people to deal with, we have to drive in Italian traffic and lots of times we don't seem to get what we want ("...sometimes, you get what you neeeeed"). We work hard and, most of the time, there are no hours in the day for recharging.

Anyway, all this leads me to a little challenge I've decided to put myself up to: one full day without any complaining. A No Moan Zone. Think I can manage it? Wanna join me? C'mon, I dare ya!

Results to follow....

4 comments:

Meredith said...

So, when's No Moan Zone Day gonna be?

jodi said...

STOP PRESSURING ME!! Haha. How's about Monday? Just to make it even harder!?? You in, Merikins?

Elizabeth Sullivan said...

I love it! A fine idea. I challenge you and I'M IN! Just let me know when it's going to be....

jodi said...

Just as soon as Peanut's over her sickyness...till then, I'd be dead if I weren't allowed to complain right now !!!