Thursday, May 5, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Being a mom has made me less afraid of things I was afraid of before, and more afraid of things I was never afraid of.

Life has been somewhat tumultuous these past few weeks (work stuff) and, going through it, I realized that my way of handling it all has changed so much since Sofia's come to be. While big decisions are hard to make regardless, the heart of what's at them is now different. No longer thinking solely of what benefits me or even what is best for Andrea, but really focusing - happily focusing - on what it all means to little Sofia. How it will affect her life, how my decisions will come to touch her future self, if at all.

I suppose this is all pretty common knowledge (especially to parents more seasoned than I). And, of course, this is not at all to say that I've become selfless or do anything only based on Sofia. No, no, the self-centered me would never be party to that sort of silliness. I just feel more...balanced? Responsible? Protective?. All of the above I guess. All of the above, and a touch of Wanting to Make 'Er Proud.

1 comment:

Roberta Krumholz said...

For what it's worth, you make us proud!