Monday, October 17, 2016

Diary-entry daughter update

I was going through some old posts and realized I haven't done a diary-entry daughter update for a while. I like keeping track of their likes and dislikes and where they are emotionally (them and me) and love looking back on them, especially on particularly tough days!

So...here we go!

Sofia...


You are definitely the scorekeeper in the family, with one eye constantly out for wrongdoers or injustices. You are also -- despite that or because of it -- our in-house, curly-head-in-the-clouds poet/songstress/artist, night-time story reader, and inventer. You Love school, all italics with a capital "L". I have never met another soul as curious as you (besides your father), and I think I have chosen it as my favorite thing about you, followed closely by your all-out enthusiasm, adventurous tastebuds, and how easily things just slide off your back, pushed right off with the force of one of your silly belly laughs.

You have never been a "simple" child, but you and I have muddled through the first-born storm together, clinging to each other as we figure it out. You feel 10,000 emotions simultaneously and it's hard - nope, impossible - to tame them, or you, when you are upset or excited or any of the million emotions in between. But the older you get and the more I understand how you tick, the more confident I feel that you are going to be just fine. And that fills me with so much relief and appreciation for you.

Current loves: crafts and handicrafts of any kind, gymnastics, playing with your sister, going out to dinner (especially sushi), playing outside, reading out loud to us in both English (favorite is anything Berenstain Bears right now) and Italian, slipping into bed to go to sleep after a long day, swimming, snuggles from Mommy, fake karate with Papà, laughing, spending time with your entire extended family, travelling, homework (I KNOW!), asking questions, putting on dance "shows", cheesy summer pop music (thanks, camp van), animals.

Current hates: being scolded, practicing piano when you're tired (and thus fighting with Papà), getting bossed around by your sister, getting in trouble for bossing your sister around, injustice, mosquitos, most kinds of cheese, being bored.

I don't know what I'd do without you Sofia...but, mainly, I don't know who I'd be without you. You have taught me so much about what it is to be a good person, a truly kind, patient, and generous person. You test me - sometimes your head is so far up in the clouds that I want to shake you awake - but it mostly comes from my fear that you'll miss something or get hurt. But mainly I am just so proud of who you are becoming, and the older you get, the easier and more interesting it is to talk to you and hear your perspective on things. Thank you, my sweet Peanut, for helping make me the mom, and person, I am today.

Samina...


Our little sneaky monkey! You are the personification of "Sugar and Spice."

People take to you in minutes, and your instant ability to make friends is my favorite aspect of your personality, as well as what I admire most about you. You don't seem to abuse this power either - except with your sister, who you absolutely love to push around - which might just in fact be your unquestionably favorite hobby.

You and I have a very close relationship, and I have to admit that I feel like the Queen of the World when you need some cuddles and cry out for me. And though I joke about it, I think I will miss it when you're older and no longer need to stuff one hand down my shirt, other thumb in your mouth, in order to relax ;)

There are tough sides to you too. Whereas your sister has a very powerful sense of empathy and right and wrong, your favorite pastime is testing boundaries, seeing just how much you can get away with. It's frustrating, but underneath my scolding I also am proud of your rebellious nature.

Your sister is your idol, though you would have to basically be tortured at Abu Ghraib before you would admit it. You miss her when she's not around, and the older you guys get, the more I feel my first place importance in your life fading, while you make room for your sister on that pedestal. As much as I'm nostalgic for it, I couldn't entrust you to a better soul though, so make sure you listen to your sister - she is looking out for you, sometimes even better than I ever could.

Current loves: playing with your baby dolls, playing with your sister, playing outside, sweets of any kind, gymnastics, pretending to read books, story time, cuddling, sucking your thumb, animals, travelling, watching TV, makeup and dress-up, wearing dresses and only dresses, running, teasing your sister, swimming, birthday parties, dancing, doing everything your sister does, spending time with your whole extended family, candy, negotiating, laughing.

Current hates: being scolded, feeling like anyone is laughing at you, having to turn the TV off, getting blamed for something you didn't do, getting bossed around by your sister, feeling out of control, wearing pants, being forced to do anything.

There is no lovelier sound in this house than your laughter, Sami. Your sunny disposition is the cure-all in this family of overthinking philosophers. But underneath that carefree exterior is a keen observer, who says little but hears everything, and stockpiles every thread of information. You are sunshine and joy, with a hint of thunder and a handful of lightning. Your greatest gift to me is what you teach me about the definitions of loyalty and self-love.



Like I tell you every night before you fall asleep: I am so lucky to be your mom, my beautiful girls.
May the world give you everything you've ever dreamed of, and may the hard times always be surmountable. And may you never, ever forget that your Papà and I will always, always, always have your back.

















No comments: